2018 Day of RemembranceJan 25, 2018 10:00 AM - Jan 25, 2018 12:00 PM Center for Space Education and Space Mirror Memorial
NASA's Kennedy Space Center will pay tribute to the crews of Apollo 1 and space shuttles Challenger and Columbia, as well as other NASA colleagues, during the Day of Remembrance Thursday, January 25.
A presentation with guest speakers begins at 10 am in Astronaut Memorial Foundation's Center for Space Education, located inside the visitor complex. The formal program includes speakers, videos and montages of fallen astronauts who are honored on this day.
After the presentation, a memorial wreath will be placed at the Space Mirror Memorial. Flowers will be distributed to all visitors so that they may also honor the fallen astronauts at the Space Mirror Memorial.
Speakers at the ceremony will include:
- Astronauts Memorial Foundation President and Chief Executive Officer Thad Altman
- Eileen Collins, veteran NASA astronaut
- Robert Cabana, director, NASA Kennedy Space Center
- Karen Stevenson, daughter of NASA astronaut Charles A. Bassett II
- Sally Kneuven, daughter of NASA astronaut Elliot M. See Jr.
- Beth Williams, widow of NASA astronaut Clifton C. Williams
- Brent Adams, son of NASA astronaut Michael J. Adams
- Tal Ramon, son of Columbia astronaut Ilan Ramon
The Astronauts Memorial Foundation is a private, not-for-profit organization that built and maintains the Space Mirror Memorial, and provides free educational programs to all ages promoting America’s continued space exploration. The Space Mirror was dedicated in 1991 to honor all astronauts who lost their lives on missions or during training. It has been designated a National Memorial by Congress.
2018 Day of Remembrance
Event is included with daily admission to Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex.
- Presentation at Center for Space Education 10 am
- Wreath-laying at Space Mirror Memorial immediately following conclusion of program