Meet Astronaut Richard (Rick) HiebOct 17, 2022 - Oct 21, 2022 Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex
NASA selects astronauts from a diverse pool of applicants with a wide variety of backgrounds, from scientists to pilots. From the thousands of applications received, only a few are chosen to be a member of the elite NASA Astronaut Corps. Each day at Kennedy Space Center Visitor Complex, visitors get the rare opportunity to meet a veteran NASA astronaut.
Meet the Astronaut of the Day at any of the following opportunities. See the Daily Schedule for the times for each when you arrive.
- The daily Astronaut Encounter briefings allow time for a presentation from the astronaut and a question-and-answer session, so be prepared to ask him or her what you have always wanted to know.
- Visitors can also get an astronaut’s autograph at The Space Shop and Shuttle Express at various times during the day.
- During the all-new Chat With An Astronaut, enjoy a sampling of food and beverages while having a group conversation with the Astronaut of the Day about what it is really like to live and work in space. This new add-on enhancement requires daily admission.
- Born: Jamestown, North Dakota
- BA in Math and Physics; Northwest Nazarene College - Class of 1977
- MSc. in Aerospace Engineering; University of Colorado - Class of 1979
- 1985 NASA class selection
- Payload Commander - Internation Microgravity Laboratory (IML-2); STS-65
- Mission Specialist - STS-49; Space Shuttle Endeavour maiden voyage
Meet Astronaut Richard (Rick) Hieb